News Updates

Moving personal belongings to the UK


You have tax and customs responsibilities when you move your personal belongings to the UK from abroad.

You must follow the rules on:

You must pay Excise Duty if you ship alcohol or tobacco.

If you break the rules, your things and any vehicle you move them in may be seized. You may also be fined or prosecuted.

Move from an EU country

You don’t usually pay tax or ‘duty’ (customs charges) on personal belongings you move to the UK from the European Union (EU).

Move from outside the EU

You may be able to claim relief on tax and duty if you’re moving from outside the EU - ask your shipping company for more information.

Claim relief

Your shipping company will ask you to fill in form ToR01 when your things arrive in the UK.

Fill in form C88 instead if you’re moving temporarily.

Customs officers use your form to work out:

  • if you qualify for relief
  • any tax and duty you owe

If you don’t qualify for relief

Your shipping company will tell you how much duty or tax you owe. You must pay it before you can collect your things.

You can be charged:

Fill in form C285(PI) to ask for a refund if you think you’ve been charged too much.

Customs Declaration Service

Read More

Launch of the Customs Declaration Service begins

Read More

From 1 January 2021 You’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods in or out of the UK.

Read More